When skin is exposed to the sun, it causes an increase in the production of cells known as melanocytes that increase melanin in the skin, thus turning the skin darker. These dark skin patches are known as brown spots, age spots and sun spots.
They generally appear on exposed skin areas like shoulders, upper back, neck, chest, hands and top of feet.
The color of the spots can range anywhere between light brown, dark brown to red and usually flat in appearance.
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, age spots appear in adults over the age of 40 most commonly, though they can affect anyone.
Here is How to Remove Brown Spots Naturally
Obviously, the best preventive measure you can take in order to prevent the appearance of brown spots is to protect yourself from the sun.
The typical treatment for age spots involves bleaching creams, chemical peels, dermabrasion, and laser therapy.
In case you want to avoid the potential side-effects of these methods, try the natural solution for lightening age spots.
Dr. Doug Willen, author of Quantum Paleo, has provided a quick and natural solution to age spots. He recommends apple cider vinegar mixed with onion juice.
The first one contains alpha hydroxy acids which eliminate dead skin while the onion is very effective at neutralizing free radicals in the body.
• Take one fresh onion and dice it.
• Use a mortar and pestle to pulverize it.
• Put the liquefied onion into a blender.
• Add in the apple cider vinegar and blend. Make sure you use organic, raw, unfiltered vinegar for this remedy.
• Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture to your brown spots (watch the video below).
If you notice any of the dark spots changes below, consult your doctor right away:
• Rapidly increases in size
• Irregular border
• Unusual color combination
• Dark pigment
• Accompanied by tenderness, redness, itching, or bleeding.